Director of Music Ministries
St. Thomas More Parish, Dartmouth, NS
“Music is an agreeable harmony for the honor of God and the permissible delights of the soul.” ― Johann Sebastian Bach
(Part-time: 15/18 hrs per week)
St. Thomas More Parish is currently seeking a Director of Music Ministries who will build on existing music and choir groups to develop and continue to grow this ministry that will foster a prayerful singing assembly through celebration.
Accountable to the Pastor and Senior Leadership Team the Director of Music Ministries supports the gospel message through song, music and inspires the assembly to live the gospel more fully. This individual is a key member of the liturgy committee.
Some of the responsibilities include (but not limited to)
- Forming musicians in the art of leading prayerful, high quality music that directs parishioners toward an encounter with Christ, and gives glory to God
- Playing at or coordinating music for a minimum of two liturgies as accompanist and choir director per weekend, or major feast
- Weekly rehearsals with the liturgical choirs (September through June)
- Overseeing all music associated with worship, religious education, social ministries, and evangelization in the parish
- Serve as a resource on musical and liturgical matters for all staff and volunteer ministers in the parish, as well as provide catechesis to the parish at large on matters of worship and musical celebration
- Scheduling and leading rehearsals with cantors and special occasion volunteer musicians
The creative and visionary individual who joins our team will have:
- A high level of musical training. Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in music considered an asset.
- Proficient on organ and piano and/or guitar, in conducting, and in singing.
- Skilled at Microsoft Office Suite, Publisher, Music writing/editing software such as Finale or Sibelius, and Social Media
- Exceptional communication skills with the ability to work well with adults, children, and youth
- Ability to read music, as well as improvise on keyboard instruments
- Working knowledge of basic sound system functions necessary. Additional skill with audio equipment considered an asset
- Eclectic/versatile musical knowledge and styles including standard modern Catholic music, traditional hymns, and Praise & Worship style of music
- A practicing Christian growing in the life of faith, being a Catholic will be considered an asset
- 3-5 years work experience preferred
NOTE: The successful applicant will be required to provide a Criminal Records Check and Vulnerable Sector Search.
Closing date: This posting will remain open until we are successful in filling this position.
Please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Download the entire job posting here: Job Posting – Director of Music Ministries v3