Religious Education: Primary- Grade 6
DRE for Primary to Grade 6
Saint Thomas More Parish
Phone: 902-434-4190 ext. 223
Tuesday & Wednesday: 9 – 2 pm
Thursday: 9 – 1 pm
Saturday: 1 – 3 pm
First Reconciliation students have now begun using the new “Blessed” Program created by Dynamic Catholic. It is a very engaging and dynamic program with animated videos and discussion. A Parent Email program is available for parents, helping them to walk alongside their child and enriching their own spiritual life. They will continue the First Holy Communion “Blessed” Program in September 2018.
Preparation for First Reconciliation takes in grade 2. If your child is in grade 3 or 4 in regular school and they have not attended any catechism classes, they will be registered for First Reconciliation.
First Holy Communion – “We Share in the Eucharist”
First Holy Communion continue with “On Our Way with Jesus” Program by Francoise Darcy-Berube and Jean-Paul Berube.
Preparation for First Holy Communion takes place in Grade 3 provided First Reconciliation has taken place the previous year.
Sacramental Celebration Dates – 2018/2019
First Reconciliation/Penance Celebration: Saturday May 25th 2019, at 10 am.
First Holy Communion Celebration: Sunday May 26th 2019, at the 9 am Holy Mass
See the full calendar below.
All children from grades Primary to 6 are welcome to join us for Catechism classes each Sunday during the school year! Download the full Religious Education calendar: Calendar for 2018-19. The calendar is subject to change, so contact Shereen with any questions.
Special Events – 2018/2019
- October 7 – No Catechism Class – Happy Thanksgiving
- October 28 – All Saints Day Celebration after 9:00 am Mass
- November 11 – No catechism class – Remembrance Day
- November 24 – Family Advent Wreath Making
- December 9 – Catechism Class, and Christmas Movie at 1pm
- December 16 – Parish Christmas Party at 1:00 pm for our Children and Youth
- December 23 – No Catechism Class – Merry Christmas!
- January 6 – Welcome back! First class of 2018
- March 10 & 17 – No classes – March Break
- April 19 – Good Friday Children’s Service at 11:00 am for all students
- April 21 – No Classes – Happy Easter!
- May 12 – Closing Celebration of Catechism Classes with Presentations by students followed by a Mother’s Day Tea
- May 25 – Confession & Rehearsal at 10:00 am (Saturday)
- May 26 – First Holy Communion Celebration at the 9:oo am Mass
Children’s Liturgy of the Word
During the school year, we invite children in Primary—Grade 6 to join our catechists for Children’s Liturgy of the Word during Mass. About 10 minutes into the Mass, children can to come to the front, receive a blessing, and then go to a classroom to do an activity and hear the Gospel story explained. After the priest’s Homily, the children are brought back into the Sanctuary to rejoin their parents for the remainder of Mass.
The safety and security of your children is our top priority. All our catechists are trained and have a background check before they can work with children.